Monday, November 01, 2004

Wall of Language

Why do people have a need to start speaking a different language as soon as they find out you do as well? For example, as soon as a Russian-speaking person realizes that I speak their language, they feel the need to start talking Russian – even if their english is perfect. What's wrong with the way we were talking 3 seconds ago?

My main problem with it is when there are other people involved - innocent by-standards that don't speak that particular language. Instantly they are excluded from the conversation. I usually try to answer the person in English. But even then they keep pressing back with the Russian. Subtle hints seen to go right past their bilingual heads.

Why do people have the need to do that? If you're one of them...please stop. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind strangers talking to each other in a different language. Their conversation in none of my business. My problem is when language is used as a barrier within a group of friends, co-workers, or acquaintances.

Once I was actually on the other side of this wall. I was at a dinner at someone's house. They had about 15 people over that night. Midway through the night one of the guys decided to start chatting-up the girl next to me in Spanish. He thought it was a great way to form a bond and to also conveniently shot me out of the conversation. Perhaps he saw me as a competitor. Pretty rude I thought. Luckily so did she. Shortly after that night she asked me out on a date. Aaah finally a little justice.

It's time for a change!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home